TacQM has a range of prepping and security products for you and your family. We deliver World Wide.
Cart 0

A Bug out..........

Craig Gadd

Time 0500.

Still dark when I grab my Bug Out Bag from the back of my car.

Bag weighs about 15kg. I had not checked the contents for months……

And that was the point of the exercise.

To test my own preparation for a just in case scenario.

I work about 30km from home, and with all the student protest, infrastructure decay and of course notorious Gauteng traffic, it is not inconceivable that I would have to walk home one day. 

In fact many many South Africans walk 5km or more to work and school everday!

Also: working for www.tacqm.co.za customers often ask for advice about Get Home/Bug Out and First Responder bags etc. 

It would be in a sense a test of advice that I had read and also given.

So my objective was to walk to my shooting range aka Funky Town, home of Sports adventure shooting

According to Google it was about 30km distant.

I had no idea how long it would take given the distance and my own physical condition, which to be brutally honest was not great.

I am unfit and overweight.

Nonetheless it was a challenge which I looked forward to.

To complete the scenario I was wearing the safety boots that i would normally wear to work and my usual everyday carry items (EDC) 3 knives an SP1 9mm pistol all hanging off a 1" Cobra belt

So what was in my bag you ask?

  • 4x500ml bottles of water.
  • 30mx10mm Rope.
  • A billy can and cup combo
  • Esbit stove & fuel tablets
  • Single meals
  • Flameless Ration Heaters
  • Optisoak (Use as Toilet paper, Pre-filter for water or as gun wipes
  • Gun cleaner
  • Jet flame lighter
  • Drimac jacket with hood
  • Zartek solar charger
  • Extra 9mm Ammo
  • Anytone 3318 Dual Band radio
  • Compact Pocket Water Filter

The only addition to the load out was a spare battery for the 3318 and of course a cell phone and a Gps. (To verify my trip)

The route however would be as different in geography as it was long. The route from work is entirely on tarred road and Urban for the most part. Today’s route would be through trackless veld and dirt road.

Over the years I had recce'd the route on quad bike so I was confident of not getting lost.

However I had made arrangements my buddy Plaashaas who gleefully awaited my call for him to 'Extract' me.

But there was another purpose: Having recently become a licenced amateur radio operator I also wanted to make use of the the dual band and repeater set up to make comms with PlaasHaas.

I would also 'Drop pins' from google maps on WhatsApp so we could verify distances and locations if anything would go awry.

I donned the jacket from the Bag and set off. It was cold and chilly late September morning about an hour before sunrise.

I cannot remember the phase of the moon, but it was light enough to walk however I did need my EDC torch when I had to cross two unpleasant smelling ditches.

Soon I was in the veldt, crossed a major road, and passed a cemetery when the sun made its daily appearance from the east. It’s pretty uneventful and pleasant to be up and about at this time of the day.

I crossed the fast flowing Klipriver and was crossing a large field when Plaashaas made contact on the UHF channel. Being rather new to this I am mindful of correct radio procedure etc.

It really was great to be able to make contact without the use of a Cell phone. I generally anticipate that if I really have to walk home it is because I cannot call a family member or friend to come and fetch me. In a real crisis more than likely the cell networks will be overloaded anyway

Not having had anything to eat and getting quite hot I stopped for a break about 2.5hours/9km into the walk.

Plaashaas then sent me co-ordinates and a compass bearing for a short cut to FunkyTown.

For the life of me I could not get it keyed into google maps, so decided to use the GPS.

Even this was a chore, as the last time I had used it was about 3 years ago and had to quickly re-learn the contextual menus.

I managed this and saw that I had 7km to go to it.

I then hit a dirt road and had the pleasure of seeing a herd of Springbok.

I had now entered an area that had a series of kopjes (hills) that interfered with comms on the repeater we were using.

We switched over to a simplex frequency (Direct radio to radio) I was pleased that we were able to make contact via this method, as,  Plaashaas is in the process of assisting locals set up a radio network for farm security in the area. Distance was about 9km.

After another 1 or 2 stops I was at the way point.

Well not exactly.

A GPS co-ord from Google Earth does not exactly translate into a precise location on a GPS.

So I was probably within 100m of it.

But being familiar with the area I was then able to navigate on a compass bearing until I came into familiar territory. 

It was after 11:00 and the sun was beating down was walking with my shirt unbuttoned and had consume 2 ½ bottles with 500ml of water remaining.

My legs were very sore and my soles painful. It was hot and I was grumpy. (I know this when I have the thought "I am too old for this Sh*t!" )

Nonetheless I had made progress.

Plaashaas was now out of radio comms due to geography and the fact that he was mobile, losing the height advantage of the Sas Radio/aerial.

I kept looking for shade to stop but there was very little and  an extremely hot dry wind was blowing: I was tiring.

At about 12h00 Plaashaas had driven to high ground and we regained comms.

Using the strobe function on our torches we were able to signal our location to each other. It was quite amazing that at the brightest part of the day being able to use our torches to signal over a distance of about 2km!

Earlier in the day Plaashaas had convinced me to change my destination with the promise of ice cold beer if I could make it.

The last 90 minutes were really tough as. My feet were aching and stiff. I had to be careful not to twist my ankles on tuft of burn grass and stones.

Finally I could hear the shooting at FunkyTown: Music to my ears! Just over this rise I though then I would see the range flags!

But it was not to be that simple: I had a further two blind rises to cross before the familiar sight of FunkyTown was observed.

I should have approached from the north, but due to poor decisions on my part I ended walking about an additional 1.5km approaching from the east.

Must say it was nice to take a moment now and then to look back of the distance travelled! It is quiet rewarding

The vehicles were insight and seeing my buddies in the distance was a real boost and I tried not to limp to much as I got closer.

Box strapped a purple smoke generator to the flagpole and activated it as approached the finish line, for me it was a very personal achievement finishing the walk in a haze of smoke. I swear "Chariots of Fire" were playing on the radio

But the day was not finished: Box Had brought his 50 Cal Truvelo to the range and I was able to shoot 3 shots from 300m!

This followed by some cold beers made it an awesome day: think about it, In which country can you walk 27km without trespassing and do some shooting and then have some cold beers?


Distance walked: 27.05km

Time moving: 6h14m

Time resting: 2h46m

Avg. Speed: .3km

Lessons learnt:

Next morning I was extremely stiff & sore. I was not going anywhere!

My cell phone battery died after about 6 hours and I could not find the re-charging cable.

I had about a mouthful of water left out of two litres. Whilst I had urinated earlier in the day once I was well underway I had no water left to pass as my body was sweating it out.

My knowledge of the route/area gave me confidence in taking shortcuts.

Comms worked well and I am certain that I could have communicated with any other licenced amateur should the need have arose.

Some of the gear in my bag was perhaps superfluous for this walk, however, if I ever had to do the real thing (Next challenge) it might just come in handy, so no major gear changes for me. I have a very specific spot that I might need the rope  if I ever do have to bail.....

I am confident that with the food I carried I could have survived a night without to much hassle. Water would have been an issue though.

Get fitter…..it’s always on my to do list: If I could sell it in a pill form I would not need to win the lotto.

There is no substitute for staying in shape and there are no short cuts either.

Thanks to Plaashaas for being over watch and getting me home.


Older Post Newer Post

  • Martin van Tromp on

    Hi Craig
    I would like to share something with you that really worked for me in the old border war. As water was a problem there, (water in the shonas green and full of live things etc). We were doing foot patrols and I started using Holbrooks Worcestershire sauce, just a teaspoon when I got thirsty. My fresh water lasted 3 to 4 times longer that the rest of my platoon’s water. Try if you want. It works!

  • Craig Gadd on

    Thanks for the comments guys.

    A friend has suggested we cycle the exact same route with our BOB.

    That way we can compare travel times and cycling with relatively large packs. Will also use our ear piece for comms on the radio.

    Will keep you posted.

  • Da_asassin on

    Well done Camo.
    Nice story.
    Brings to mind how unfit I am!

  • Jason on

    Well done Camo. Inspiring

  • Box on

    Very inspiring. Well done!

Leave a comment